Thursday 20 August 2015

One Girl, Seven Books...

So over the course of the past few years you could say I've read a few books, some good and some bad. So I decided that I would review some of the books I've read and enjoyed. So here are seven book reviews. Enjoy!


Book One: The Complete Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
"The Complete Sherlock Holmes presents all four full length novels and fifty - six short stories about the astonishing adventures of Sherlock Holmes- every word Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ever wrote about Baker Street's most famous resident. 
So devoted and numerous are the followers of the immortal Holmes, so timeless are his adventures, that this shrewd and lovable amateur detective has become the most popular character in the last one hundred years of fiction. Holmes's entire career and remarkable adventures in crime have been brought together in this single volume- the definitive, authoritative Sherlock Holmes text originally published in nine separate books." 

The Complete Sherlock Holmes 
is about Consulting Detective, Sherlock Holmes, and his right hand man, Doctor John Watson, as they run around England, mainly London, solving cases together and fighting the grim forces of Professor James Moriarty.

This book includes all stories of Sherlock Holmes. If you've seen the films and shows based off these stories and haven't read them then I highly suggest that you read them. Even if you don't like the films or TV shows, I highly suggest you read them. Though the stories are the basis of the things you don't like, they are different. It may even turn out that you like the books more than the films and TV shows. The stories are brilliant in their own ways and are cleverly written. However there is the odd story where they have a lesser grip on you then the others do. If you can get past this, which is easily done, then carry on reading.  Just take a chance and read A Study in Scarlet and if you don't like it, then stop. However if you do enjoy reading them, then carry on and devour each story until the end. If you do, you will not regret it.
STARS: 4/5


Book Two: The Silence of the Lambs, by Thomas Harris.
"At Large a psychopathic serial killer who flays the body of his victims.
Locked Away a homicidal genius in an asylum for the criminally insane.
The Go-Between a young FBI trainee who must deal with one to stop the other." 

The Silence of the Lambs 
is a story about Clarice Starling and the hunt for Buffalo Bill, a man flaying his female victims in order to get his wish. Clarice tries to solve the case with the help of Doctor Hannibal Lecter, a cannibalistic serial killer who has a taste for the rude.

I watched the film a few times before actually reading the book, normally I wouldn't do this but watching the film was what made me want to read the book. Also I read The Silence of the Lambs first, rather than reading the series of books in order. I don't suggest that you read it out of order but if you do or don't, well it doesn't really matter very much. It took me a while to get into reading the book, however once I got into reading it I was absolutely consumed by it which led me into wanting to read The Red Dragon, Hannibal, and Hannibal Rising. Thomas Harris creates a perfect story in The Silence of the Lambs and it will grip you till the very end, even then you'll be begging for more.
STARS: 4/5

Book Three: The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath.
"A girl lives in an out-of-the-way town nineteen years, so poor she can't even afford a magazine and then she gets a scholarship to college and wins a prize here and there and ends up steering New York like her own private car. Only I wasn't even steering anything. 
Not even myself."

The Bell Jar 
is a Bildungsroman/Coming of Age novel which tells the story of Esther Greenwood's trip to New York, her growing quest for purity, her weakening mental capacity, and Esther's obsession with the execution of the Rosenbergs. Though The Bell Jar isn't an autobiographical areas of the novel overlap Sylvia Plath's life, including her time at a psychiatric hospital, including the electroshock treatment.

For my English Literature class I had to read The Bell Jar along with another book, The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, unfortunately for me I didn't enjoy the book as I didn't find it very interesting. Granted there were a few moments in the book where I truly enjoyed reading it, I also liked Plath's use of symbolism, however the book wasn't like anything I had read, nor use to reading. There were some people in my class who actually enjoyed the book and really recommend it. Even though I personally do not like The Bell Jar I suggest you read it. As I have said, some parts are rather enjoyable, even for me.
STARS: 2/5

Book Four: Peter Pan, by J.M. Barrie 
"The night that Peter Pan flies into the Darling children's nursery is the night that magic flies into their lives. It's the night that Wendy and her brothers follow Peter out of the window and soar through the sky to Neverland. It's that night that they discover a world of mermaids, fairies, and pirates, of lost boys, and of the terrible Captain Hook. 
It's the night the adventure begins..."

Peter Pan
 is a delightfully childish story about a boy, Peter Pan, who refuses to grow up and his adventures with Wendy, John, Michael, and the Lost Boys in Neverland as they fight Captain Hook and his crew of pirates.

This book is a true guilty pleasure of mine, as it reverts me back into my childhood state and makes wish to be able to go to Neverland. It doesn't matter how old you are or who you are. If you haven't read this book then I highly suggest that you do, and even if you have read it then read it again. Granted that Peter Pan is a children's book, but so is The Hobbit  by J.J.R.Tolkien and it is read by thousands of adults weekly. So please take my advice, read Peter Pan and let your inner child out.
Stars: 5/5


Book Five: The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde.
"Dorian Gray is young, rich and beautiful. When he sees an exquisite portrait of himself, he is bewitched, and offers his soul in exchange for eternal youth and good looks."

The Picture of Dorian Gray, 
a gothic tale about Dorian Gray and the deal he made. Forever young, forever handsome, forever soulless.

The Picture of Dorian Gray is wonderful little story about the Victorian Upper Class, many social issues of the time such as class integration, as well as the theme of duplicity (double life). Like in The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde, by Doctor Robert Louis Stevensonthe idea of duplicity is evident in Dorian Gray's character who, towards the end, begins to question and battle the decision he has made.

Like all the books I am reviewing, I suggest you read the book and see if you like it yourself, however I really want you to read this book as I personally believe that it is marvellous and you should try to read it at least.
STARS: 5/5



Book Six: The Wasp Factory, by Iain Banks.
"Two years after I killed Blyth I murdered my younger brother Paul, for quite different reasons than I'd disposed of Blyth, and then a year after that I did for my young cousin Esmerelda, more or less on a whim. That's my score to date. Three. I haven't killed anybody for years, and don't intend to ever again.
It was just a stage I was going through." 

The Wasp Factory tells the twisted story of an unconventional sixteen year old named Frank, who attempts to control the chaos around him through his precious Wasp Factory. 

Like The Bell Jar, I had to read this book for my English Literature class. The Wasp Factory is somewhat like The Bell Jar, however I feel that The Wasp Factory is much better in comparison as the story of Frank is more compelling to my nature, especially at the end of the book where a whole different wave of empathy hits the reader. Also the strong touches of absurdity in the novel is something that appealed to me strongly. I really enjoyed reading The Wasp Factory as I felt it was more exciting and appealing to me. 

The strong levels of absurdity, violence, and madness may not appeal to everyone so my advice is that you should only read the book is you have a stomach for that type of book.
STARS: 4/5



Book Seven: The Fault In Our Stars, by John Green.
"Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few year, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten."

 The Fault In Our Stars is the story of Hazel Lancaster, a sixteen year old girl who has stage four thyroid cancer, and how her world gets turned upside down by Augustus Waters, a troublesome teenager with osteosarcoma.

There are few books that I truly want people to read, this is one of them. Though you may be put off my the subject of teens with cancer I can truly assure you that the subject is dealt with in a very different way and the tone of the book is lightened by the wit and comedy of the characters. Trust me, it isn't all doom and gloom. The relationship between Hazel and Augustus is as real as anything in this book. The Fault In Our Stars never fails to win over your heart with its many twists and turns. Beware, tissues are needed for this book. 
STARS: 5/5



I hope you all enjoyed the seven book reviews and that you go and read at least one of the books I have reviewed as they all deserve credit and appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment